- Select a Wedding Date and Time (and possibly a backup date)
- Announce your engagement in the paper
- Plan an engagement party with family and friends
- Talk with a bridal consultant or wedding coordinator
- Find out what bridal shows are in the area and plan on attending
- Agree on a preliminary budget
- Decide who will pay for what and how expenses will be shared
- Call your church or synagogue for an appointment with the Officiant
- Consider and ask friends and family to serve as wedding attendants
- Start a "planning system" and system of organization
- Start your wedding guest list
- Start thinking about ideas/themes for your reception and catering plans
- Determine what type of entertainment you want to have for your reception
- Decide the type of wedding you would like to have (size, formality, and setting)
- Think about your color schemes
- Explore pre-marital counseling
- Start health and fitness plan if you're not already in one!
- Select your reception location
- Select your professional photographer
- Select your videographer
- Select professional caterer (if necessary)
- Select Musician or Disc Jockey
- Select your florist
- Shop together for your wedding rings
- Select wedding dress and headpiece, and set a date for fittings and delivery
- Select your bridesmaids' dresses and accessories
- It's time to choose a honeymoon and location
Four Months Prior To The Wedding
- Check the requirements for marriage license
- Select and discuss your color schemes with the florist/decorator of choice
- Again consider pre-marital counseling
- Reserve your wedding day rental equipment
- Decide upon a gift registry and select your gift choices
- Order your invitations and related stationery needs
- Start shopping for the men's’ wedding attire
- Reserve your wedding day transportation
- Research and select readings for ceremony
- Make music selections for ceremony and reception
- Decide upon and order favors
- Select your baker, then choose your cake, and groom’s cake
- Help both mothers coordinate and find their wedding day clothing
- Review your contracts with all of your vendors and service providers (DETAILS!!)
Two Months Before Your Wedding
- Have engagement portraits taken
- Place your engagement announcement in the newspaper
- Mail out invitations and announcements
- Decide on the men's’ wedding attire
- Arrange and plan your rehearsal dinner
- Purchase your wedding day accessories
- Arrange attendants' parties
- Prepare accommodations for out-of-town attendants and guests
- Consider a hairdresser and/or makeup artist and book appointments
- Finalize all honeymoon plans
One Month Left!
- Final wedding dress fitting
- Final fitting for your wedding attendants
- Obtain marriage license
- Have your attendants' parties
- Purchase your going-away outfit
- Create a calendar of events for the wedding day.
- Make sure your accessories are in order (rings, pillow, garter, etc.)
Two Weeks Remaining!
- Finalize arrangements with the entertainer(s)
- Provide a list of music you would like played (or not played)
- Finalize music during special events such as first dance, dance with dad, etc.
- Pick up your wedding rings and make sure that the engravings are correct
- Make sure they fit!
- Contact the guests who have not responded to your invitations.
One Week To GO!
- If you can, take the week, or part of the week off from work!
- Make sure your marriage license is in order
- Prepare seating arrangements, if necessary
- Purchase travelers checks, confirm honeymoon reservations
- Pack your baggage for your rings and marriage license
- Seat guests as they arrive
- The groom’s parents should be seated about 5 minutes before start time
- Mother of the bride is normally seated last
- Take a deep breath, don't worry, be HAPPY and SMILE!
Ready for Your Big Day?
Wedding to-do-lists. A wedding checklist for each stage of wedding planning from 10-12 months before your wedding to your wedding day .
View your Wedding Checklist